Netflix's hidden gem - "Love 101": a review on teenage angst

"We all have a Sinan in us."
If there is a show on Netflix that kicked it out of the park for me, it'd be Aşk 101 - or in English, Love 101. 

Love 101 (TV Series 2020– ) - IMDb
Intrigued, given my love of Turkish dramas, albeit skeptical that it would be your clichéd high-school drama, I decided to listen to my friend who'd been raving about his binge-watch, & give it a shot.

Aşk 101 revolves around a bunch of 5 high-school delinquents at the verge of being expelled, who devise a plan to make their vice-principal fall in love - in a bid to make her stay - since she's their only chance keeping them from expulsion. 

Sounds cheesy? It wasn't.

My obsession reached the point of no return when I watched all episodes back-to-back for a second time, two weeks after the finale aired. I spent every waking minute prowling every single fan-made video there was on Youtube and Google Translated any Turkish comments there were about a potential Season 2, having intense discussions with my friends about the famous 5. And I would leave no stone unturned about Episode 8's massive cliffhanger. I was delirious, delirious with anticipation. 

Simply, because Aşk 101 spins your teen narrative differently - it subtly, acutely captured the insecurities, vulnerabilities, & journey to finding love that teenagers go through - that everyone has experienced at some point in their lives, & could relate to so well. Everyone's experienced some form of anxiety. Confusion. Depression. Sadness. And above all, angst. In small ways, through the stunning cinematography, Aşk 101 unapologetically threw the controversial topic of mental health in your face - by making it materialise through these teenagers. It showed me how 'perfection' is what fits society's expectations - & not you, your own. It was pure. To see teenagers tear themselves apart & finally let their guard down was so, so wholesome. 

I also haven't seen such a fine acting in a long time - Mert Yazıcıoğlu captured the raw emotions of Sinan, a depressed teenager who's been abandoned by his parents, right down to perfection. His emotional detachment, sadness, philosophical anecdotes about life & expressions left me stunned, & raw. And disturbed. Of all the characters, I loved him the most - because deep down inside, we all have a Sinan in us. From the views of the Bosphorus at Sinan's house, to the subtle humour, Osman's hazelnuts & a beautifully crafted soundtrack, Aşk 101 is an emotional, yet refreshing take to your usual Turkish content that revolves around storylines of betrayal, family & revenge, & ultimately, gives a deeper meaning to the quote "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about".

I definitely, definitely can't wait for Season 2. Çabuk, Netflix!

Comments

Popular Posts